During his tour of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) In 1962, President John F. Kennedy encountered a janitor carrying a broom down the hallway, he asked the janitor what he did for NASA, the janitor replied; “I’m helping put a man on the moon.”
The janitor understood the value of his role, he recognized his contribution in meeting the organization’s objectives. This janitor was an incredible invisible.
A few weeks ago we highlighted the significance of the Pilot Boat Captain and their role in piloting ships during their disembarkation and embarkation at the port. Today we highlight the diligence of our custodians and their contribution in adding value to the everyday experience at SLASPA.
This contribution directly impacts the organizations' reputation and work culture. Every so often we reduce the significance of our custodians to meeting the Authority’s mandate; “to facilitate trade and travel through value creation in a safe, secure and customer-centric environment for sustained social and economic development.” Oblivious that these personnel in ensuring the cleanliness of the facilities reflect positively on the organization and further add to the exceptional customer experience we boast.
A custodian in their role acts out the following:
• Works as part of a team to carry out cleaning tasks to ensure standards are maintained
• Ensures any damages noticed during cleaning duties are reported to supervisor promptly
• Ensures cleaning tasks assigned by supervisor are carried out in a timely fashion
• Utilizes proper methods to clean up potentially hazardous materials or contact the appropriate authorities to handle such incidents
• Carries out additional or special duties as instructed by the cleaning supervisor
• Identifies appropriate cleaning materials and products to sanitise areas, disinfect and deodorise according to company standards
• Organises cleaning items, disinfectants and other materials kept in storage, as well as cleaning equipment
• Fulfils work order requests in case of cleaning or plumbing emergencies
• Regularly empties trash and recycling
• Replenishes supplies in washrooms, such as hand soap, paper towels and toilet paper
• Follows cleaning routine and schedule as set by supervisor including sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, window washing, mirrors, etc.
In going through this short list of responsibilities, it cannot be understated their role in creating comfort and upholding the image of the organization. Without their efforts, the many persons who do business with us cannot experience a clean and comfortable environment which speaks volumes to our level of service.
Salute and hats off to our custodians or invisible ambassadors.