Let’s face it, our world today has changed significantly. Life as we know it is no longer the same, but change is inevitable, it is the one constant that we cannot get away from. As a result of the Covid -19 pandemic we have been bombarded with so many changes, for some us it may be as simple as not having as much access to fresh air because we’re now required to wear a mask, for some of us our health have been affected, for others, income levels have changed and in general our stress levels have increased.
After conducting research on ways to maintain a positive attitude during this pandemic, I have found that being grateful can significantly improve one’s mood even on the worst of days.
An attitude of gratitude can be cultivated in the following ways
- Keeping a gratitude journal – Take a note of the things that you are thankful for every day or share those things with a loved one, try doing so until it becomes a habit. According to Harvard Medical School research conducted by two university professors on gratitude indicated that persons who were grateful and noted daily, the positive things in their lives were more optimistic and had better health and a general sense of well-being.
- Count Your Blessing – We are also blessed in one way or another, take note of the gifts that you have received.
- Thank someone – Take the time out to thank someone who has been kind to you, reached out or helped you through a difficult time. If you cannot do so verbally do so mentally.
- Pray- Expressing gratitude to God during pray time also helps you to keep a record of the positive in your life.
- Meditate- Meditating mindfully involves focusing on your present state of being and thinking of the positive in your life.
As employees within a port community we have much to be grateful for.
- Be grateful for your Job.
- Be grateful that we work for a corporation which genuinely cares for our well- being.
- Be grateful that we are employed among persons who are the best in their field or aspire to be the best in their field of work. There is therefore an opportunity to learn from them.
- Our organization is a growing organization, one in which training and development is made available when deemed necessary.
- We have access to many amenities and perks that we tend to take for granted think of the many years you were able to walk into the kitchenette and make your self a hot cup of coffee or tea and even that we need to be grateful for.